Sunday, May 24, 2009

Your choices of snack food..

What's your favourite snack food?? For me, I love chocolates, ice-creams, french fries, onion rings but not so much of a chips fan. I don't know why but I do have some mood swing in craving for chips. But, one of my favourite snack food ever since I'm small would be the Chinese snack which is popular at street hawkers especially in Penang. So, can you guess what it is??

Well, the Chinese snack that I'm talking about is MUAR CHEE (Glutinous Rice). To me, my best-loved muar chee seller would be the uncle at Gurney Drive.

My first choice Muar Chee seller


Muar Chee from Gurney Drive

Last night, out of nowhere, I have this craving for Muar chee. So, off to Genting Klang we went since we decided to have our dinner there. I have bought a packet of muar chee from an aunty after our dinner. I still remember vividly the first time I have bought a packet of muar chee at Wangsa Maju. To my suprise, it does not come with the plain flavored glutinous rice that we usually seen in Penang but with various flavoured like pandan, choco, mango, strawberry and many others. I couldn't help thinking but I guess Muar chee has evolved over the years.

Muar Chee KL Style : Plain, Pandan & Choco flavoured

However, we are not the only one who loves muar chee as it is an important food in Japanese culture as well. The Japanese would call this MOCHI (kinda similiar to the way we call it). During the Japanese New Year's holiday, they would usually cook mochi with soup where they call it OZOUNI (Mochi Soup) as it is part of their tradition.

Mochi


Ozouni

I have taste Ozouni before. My ex-flatmate who is a Japanese cooked Ozouni as dinner for me. Honestly speaking, I love it very much. It taste so different depending on the ingredients you choose yet it is so delicious to consume. Awww..speaking of this, I realised I miss her very much!!

However, always remember that cooked mochi is indeed very sticky, so becareful not to choke it when you are consuming. It's important to take a small bite at a time as quite a few people in Japan, mostly ELDERLY, die across Japan from choking on mochi.

0 comments: